Both Audience Control ("internal scans" or scanning from the inside) and Instant Scans ("external scans" or scanning from the outside) have many configuration options related to their visualizations. These screens can be accessed using the gear icon at the top left of the screen.
The settings presented vary based on the type of scan, but below are the three tabs of the configuration tool followed by brief descriptions of the major functions.
After any changes are made to configurations, the user should press the "Save profile" button at the bottom of the screen to commit them. All changes are persistent for the selected internal/external scan. To revert to default settings, press the circle arrow icon (where applicable).
- Target (only shown for Instant Scan): This lets you change the URL that will be scanned, as well as configure any authentication required to access that URL.
- Network/tree diagram: This provides various options for the chain and tree diagrams, such as:
- Impression thresholds (only for internal scans): Some websites can be deluged by thousands of days every day, making it difficult for visualizations to show clear patterns. The minimum impression threshold will not show any tags where the number of appearances is less than the specified percentage of total pageviews observed. The maximum threshold helps to isolate outliers for closer examination by eliminating frequent tags.
- Node size and distance controls: Users can control how the appearance of the root node (which is the favicons for Instant Scans). Dynamic node sizing permits node size to be controlled by various factors, with other settings adjusting the allowable node size range. Distance and link tension help to spread or contract the diagram.
- Currently in beta: Initial expanded levels, max displayed child nodes, index to use for node colors, diagram physics and % of cloud.
- Performance diagram (only for internal scans): The performance bar chart shows average execution or load values, as well as minimum and maximum values, in a candlestick chart. The minimum and maximum can be adjusted to the 1/99% or 5/99% levels to exclude outliers that distort performance reporting.
Currently in beta for selected customers
- These options pertain to Instant Scan to enable users to spider a website starting with the target URL and repeat scans at regular intervals, as well as select different user agents (browser/OS types) to use for the scanners. Additionally, Mezzobit has scanning nodes located in several locations around the world. Normally for Instant Scan, the system would pick the next available node, but the user has the ability to select a preferred node. Some nodes are configured with specific browser extensions (such as ad blockers) to gather data as seen through a difference lens. Those also can be chosen here.